Cargo for the Dhows along Dubai Creek. These refrigerators are destined to Pakistan, India, and elsewhere around the Red Sea.
The Burj Al Arab hotel is built on an island in the Arabian sea and the only 7 star hotel in the world.
Bowling night with the Blue Water Rally sailors in Salalah, Oman. Maria is watching their technique.
The Hilton Hotel in Salalah, Oman. This is where we spend our days looking out at the port and enjoying the pool.
Frankincense market in Salalah, Oman with two of the Blue Water Rally sailors and the sales person.
Khat, the Somalia narcotic that was littered all over the captured cargo ship. The pirates are high all the time on this stuff while holding a gun to your head 24/7.
The chief officer from Bangladesh who was held captive aboard the cargo ship by pirates for 7 months. We were allowed onboard the ship when it docked in Salalah, Oman.
A just released cargo ship that the pirates kept for 7 months. It is arriving in Salalah, Oman, next to us.
Cruise ship that stopped in the port at Salalah, Oman. Notice the razor wire around the back of it to deter pirates!
S/Y Aspen – April 18, 2011 – Log #71
Position: 16 degrees 56’ N 054 degrees 00’ E (UTC +4 Hours)
Oman said we had to leave the country! Well, not because we did anything wrong but just because our tourist visa expired and we were only able to renew it for a total of 2 months. So we had to leave the country, stay someplace else and then return to get a new visa.
We contacted our friendly US Ambassador and he said we would have to leave as well. Even the British, who once owned Oman, had no luck getting an extension.
Dubai, UAE is the closest place for us to go so we flew there. It is possible to drive from Salalah for something like 1,000 miles across the desert but it is not recommended because of sand storms, stray camels, high speed trucks and the chances of breakdowns with absolutely nothing for miles and miles across featureless desert.
Dubai - what a contrast to Oman! Dubai is the financial capital of the country UAE (United Arab Emirates). Dubai is a city within the UAE where sheikhs hold all the power. The sheikhs are descendants from the tribes who once roamed this region. They settled in what is now known as Dubai in the 1800's when they came from Abu Dhabi, the largest city in the UAE. The British claimed the states of what is now called the UAE as part of their world-wide empire not so long ago. However, the Brits left Dubai in 1971, not realizing what riches lay under the ground - OIL. The rest is history as Dubai flourished with staggering oil revenues.
There was actually things to do in Dubai like see the most modern skyline in the world and visit world-class hotels, shopping and restaurants. This is where movie stars, rock stars and the billionaires come to invest their money amongst the wealthiest nation on earth. Even the Saudi's come here for R&R, spending their oil money on investments in buildings.
Dubai has the largest mall, the tallest building, the only 7* hotel in the world, the largest and most man-made offshore islands and more modern buildings per square foot than anywhere in the world. Anywhere. Wow, we were impressed as you can see by the pictures on the blog.
It is in Dubai where oil revenues made a country and now foreign investment and tourism is sustaining the country. Today in Dubai there are $305 Billion in construction projects being built. Only 17% of the population of Dubai are natives. The rest are foreign workers! Imagine that, 83% of Dubai isn't even from here, they just work here and send money home. The workers are mainly from India, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Thailand, Pakistan, Russia and even some x-pat US and British. It is quite a melting pot where cultures meet, work, play and there is no crime. What a concept!
We will leave Dubai on Wednesday and fly back to Salalah, Oman (with our new visa) where we will wait for our transport ship to arrive. It looks like Aspen will be shipped out sometime during the first part of May for the voyage to Turkey. The date is still a moving target with ships being coordinated from all over the globe to provide equipment, manpower and the necessary big ship to bring Aspen safely onboard and on her way out of here, along with us too.
We will keep you posted!
Sail on, sail on and sail safe Aspen…